Monday, January 16, 2006

January 16, 2006

Yesterday we crossed the Equator. As the captain blew the ship’s whistle, Alemitu jokingly looked in the water and said, “Where is the line?” Soon thereafter the judging of Poseidon, or Neptune, took place. All passengers who have never crossed the Equator are considered pollywogs and need to have their characters judged by Poseidon. If they are not worthy, they are sent over the side of the ship. On this ship, only the crew who are sent to Neptune, thank goodness. It ended up that Carter was considered a pollywog because he had never going over the Equator in a ship. We had gone over numerous times in a plane or on land. Anyway, I think they wanted a few more victims. They were marched out, had to kiss a disgusting dead Amazon fish, were judged and then were placed on a table and covered with nasty food products. There was spaghetti noodles, jello water, flour, tons of food coloring, oatmeal. They started with the wet stuff that Carter said tasted sweet, then the dry. His clothes became matted with a doughy substance. Then they were judged again by all the chief officers and were either told to walk the plank (jump in the pool), or they were saved and made to bake on the side of the pool. It was certainly better to walk the plank, but Carter and the nurse were saved and had to sit in the sun until all the other crew were finished.

Make sure you check out the website to see the photos of Carter. It was most colorful and the passengers and crew seemed to enjoy the frolic. His clothes were beyond description. Luckily, I could send them thru the laundry here on the ship and not have to even touch them!

Today has been a leisurely day cruising on our way to Natal. The sea is calm and we all feel quite lazy. There have been such interesting speakers, one talking about the native plants and animals. The fish Carter had to kiss only eats nuts! We are all getting quite an education.

Winnie

Hello everyone…..Boy am I gaining weight out here. The food is fantastic, and I am almost at the point of not going to the formal dining room every night because 1) It starts at 8:15 pm 2) It goes on for 2 hours 3) By 10:15 pm I am ready for bed and so all those calories go to my waist. 4) The folks we are eating with are very, very, very “interesting”….which means I can’t really tell you everything as this is a public forum I am writing in.

Alemitu is having some “issues” with the close environment we are living in….as in the bedroom. For some reason she is annoyed with my snoring, sleep talking, and all the ‘other’ noises that people can imagine. She doesn’t seem to get that others might become equally tired of expressions like “I have a huge zit on my back” which is repeated 5-10 times for emphasis or “you don’t understand how hard it is to take care of my hair.” I must mention she is reading all this out loud and over my shoulder as I am typing….We have NO secrets out here. All in all, we are settling into the shipboard routines and getting to know the 500 octagenarians for whom I am “Doc.” Winnie is finally beginning to rest and get a well deserved vacation. More to follow!

Carter

Hi everyone? Yes I am getting annoyed living in the same room as my dad and mom and I have only been on the ship for 2 weeks I think. Anyway I am getting little bit of zits on my face because it is very humid out here and when I am around humid areas I tend to get zits sometimes it is very annoying. On the night we had a formal night I had this zit on the back of my shoulder which was annoying because I was going to wear my beautiful green dress. In the, I ended up wearing my dress and I still looked good, I know I looked good because people were telling me I looked great. I am still having a great time here and I hope all of you are having fun too.

Always, Alemitu

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home