Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Jan 10, 2006

Well I have been aboard the Prinsendam for 5 days and nites and am just now starting to feel that this is our home for the next 4 months. The staff I work with are excellent and I am the newbie aboard in the dept which is fortunate as there has been a ton of things to do this week…i.e. Vaccinate all the crew and passengers who for one reason or another didn’t bring their yellow card or documentation. This is essential to pass the extremely difficult and often time capricious public health officials in Santarem, Brazil we meet in 2 days time. Surveillance for ARI (Acute Respiratory Illness) ILI (Influenza like illness), and GIS (Gastrointestinal illness/symptoms) is done daily on both crew and passengers and submitted electronically to public health officials in next port of call. We are updating all crew charts, TB status, YF status, GI illness during last 3-4 days, as well as insuring they all have their physical and exam current including meds and medical needs met during cruise…all 500 of them.

Then there are the guests (passengers) who for the most part are teetering on the edge of life and death (or) mobility and immobility (or) health and illness. Care is primarily geriatrics with travel and motion related problems so far. These folks are rather demanding and expect solutions to problems which are rarely curable but often can be palliated for a period of time. I am concerned about the time when someone becomes critically ill….Oh well I signed up for this gig of my own free will. Until we communicate again.

Carter
_____________________________________________________________________
January 10, 2006

Our room is situated right across from the Infirmary, so it is in the middle of the ship and rather low to ensure stability. It is the last row of port holes above water level. Yesterday, as we were leaving Barbados, we could see the water from the waves above the level of our windows – and it has yet to cease. Poor Alemitu is suffering as the ship rocks and rolls. I rather enjoy the soothing rocking, sort of like a cradle with an occasional jerk. Carter, however, does not share me impression. He and Alemitu find the aid of Scopalamine and/or Meclizine necessary for the functioning of life.

The cabin steward brought Alemitu a chocolate on her pillow last night. Her cruise is complete.

Yesterday we landed in Barbados and Alemitu had a hankering to go shopping. I wanted to see the island, so we started out quite early to walk into town. One of the nurses on board went with us, or I should say, led us. We walked thru a pleasant park, saw a slew of crabs sunning on a cement culvert, as the air was full of the aroma of molasses. Alemitu was pleasantly surprised that the majority of the people has brown faces. But they will stared at her because they knew she was from a different part of the world. (Clothes, bone structure, demeanor?) The sun began to peak out between the clouds and I felt my skin frying. I had lathered with tons of sunscreen, but I knew I was doomed. We shopped for several hours, disappointed by the high prices, and then headed back when I felt dizzy (my water was depleted). We found a grocery store and bought more water and even carbonated banana juice. That was enough to sustain me until we got back to the terminal. Of course, there were numerous shops outside the terminal and Alemitu perused each on with care. She found the prices more reasonable and did buy an outfit she will be able to wear for an informal evening dinner.

My Tai Chi class is a little discouraging because despite the slow speed of the movements I still get my hands and feet in the wrong positions. Maybe the missteps will add to the physical exertion I am putting forth.

Alemitu finds that the seasickness is a good appetite suppressant, but Carter seems unaffected. He still eats two entries many evenings.

I am finding the gym rats to be funny. One guy rode the bike uphill for 5 miles only to find that he had gained weight. (I think the scales are questionable.) We just got a new entertainment group on board yesterday, so these kids will be in the gym quite a bit, I am sure.

Winnie

1 Comments:

At 8:17 AM, Blogger Hills said...

Thanks Winnie....You write such great notes!
Love,
Carter

 

Post a Comment

<< Home