Monday, January 09, 2006

WORLD CRUISE 2006


January 6, 2006
We are now living the first full day of cruising. It is so difficult to describe the mixed feelings we are living with. Some are wonderful and others are heart wrenching. I’ll start at the beginning.

Carter left 12 hours before Alemitu, our neighbors Irv and Vilma, and I left. He joined the ship on Jan. 5, early in the morning. He was going to get settled and then meet us at the airport at 9 in the evening. That went as planned. Alemitu and I met Irv and Vilma at the airport, each of us a little sleepy because we had stayed up late packing those last indispensable items (many of which we soon wished we had left at home..). The flight to Dallas/Ft. Worth was fun. The flight attendant got to know Vilma and Irv, announcing over the pa system that they were headed for a round the world cruise in celebration of their 62nd anniversary. The entire plane clapped for them and they were given a little bottle of champagne.

The second leg of the flight journey seemed fine until we started the descent. Irv apparently gave Vilma a kiss, said he loved her and went to the rest room. Alemitu said it seemed as if he had been in the rest room forever when we heard a scream. Irv had collapsed in the bathroom and when I got to him, he was no longer breathing. We performed CPR until we had pulled into the gate, but it was to no avail. The medics met us at the gate, were able to intubate him, start an IV, but his heart function and breathing had stopped.

I called Carter, hoping he would be in the baggage area to meet us, but he had been unable to secure his passport from the ship, so was not able to join us for about an hour. I went with Vilma to the hospital where Irv was pronounced and Carter picked up Alemitu and the luggage, deposited her on the ship and joined us at the hospital. The hospital handled the situation with understanding and compassion, but a situation like this is never easy.

The next 12 hours were very emotional, to say the least. We did not encounter anyone who was not helpful. The hotel Vilma was staying in bent over backwards to make her time of grief private and fulfilled the necessities of such a trying time. They sent up breakfast and arranged for her to have someone in the room most of the time between my departure to join the ship and the arrival of her “son” Mark who was flying in from Seattle. Understandably, the only thing she wanted to do was to go home. Even though the hotel was beautiful and caring, she wanted the familiar. Little things were distressing. The bed was too tall for her to get in without a step stool. She slept little that night, often getting up to wander around. At one point she was trying to get back in bed and slipped, falling on the floor. Miraculously she didn’t fracture anything. She had several bruises only. I then forced her to stay in bed until morning and until I could obtain a stool for her.

We spent most of the morning calling friends and arranging with several services what would happen next. I was impressed by the speed with which the emergency trip cancellation service, the cruise line and the travel agent worked. We left before Mark’s arrival, so we don’t know when they are planning to return to Seattle or how Vilma is doing. It was terrible to have to leave her.

I went off the join the ship, trying to check in via the crew entrance, but I wasn’t on the list. So I was sent to the passenger side. I was not on that list either. Carter was called, saying he would “come get me”. I was working on very little sleep, struggling to stay awake – glad I had a cross work puzzle book with me to keep me occupied until he arrived. Of course, we were in opposite sites of the terminal, but with the help of cell phones, we made the connection. Who knows why I was never listed on the roster, but eventually the head of security was called and they agreed that I was ok to get aboard. I guess all that strength training wasn’t that evident and I didn’t look like a threat to security.

What a surprise to find my suitcases totally unpacked, thanks to my daughter and husband. Our room is the doctor’s quarters, right in the middle of the ship, across from the infirmary. We are still adjusting to its oddities. The bathroom is on the step-saver side. Or rather, no steps necessary side. One step to the side of the toilet and you are in the shower. There is no room to dress in there unless you are sitting on the toilet. It’s tight! Also, Alemitu is sleeping on a two cushion couch, scrunched up. We haven’t figured out how to open it up, if it does open up. And Carter and I are going thru readjustments as we share a double bed. Carter takes up the same amount of room in the bed, no matter what size it might be. So I guess I am the one making the adjustments…. We also don’t have an electrical outlet by the bed, so his sleep apnea machine is nonfunctional. Alemitu was not amused with his breathing noises during the night. Both she and I required a nap today. Carter is chipper. Nothing interrupted his sleep.

So we are off. The internet connections are spotty and both Carter and I are frustrated at times. He has multiple social requirements, so we have hardly had a chance to troubleshoot. Maybe tomorrow will be less demanding. We have met some very interesting people already. Many have cruised the world cruise before and seem to make this a tradition. The gym was full at 6:30 this morning, one lady asking Carter if he thought she could have dessert tonight if she just did a few more minutes on the elliptical machine.

January 7, 2006

How could I so carefully pack my razor blades and then leave the razor at home?

The sleep apnea machine got properly wired. Bless the technician.

Alemitu got a real bed after another sleepless night. She is happy beyond belief. Now if she could only get that piece of chocolate on her pillow each night…….


January 8, 2006

I think things are beginning to form a pattern. Carter is working a ton because he is trying to figure out exactly where everything is and what he is supposed to do. The nurses are being very patient with him, thank goodness.

One big frustration has been the lack of internet access. They are trying to connect our room with the internet, but don’t have the cable necessary. Maybe in Barbados. We did get on line today and were able to retrieve my work, family messages and a message from Vilma and Irv’s friend that Vilma has returned to Seattle. That was a relief to hear.

The cruise has so many activities, there is something for everyone. Alemitu went to a cooking class, only to return saying she never realized what went into crab cakes. No wonder she gained weight on a cruise! I have been attending historical lectures daily, and yes, I am going to the gym everyday. Kit gave me a workout routine and I take the notebook upstairs with me each time. I can’t seem to remember those exercises, maybe because I wish they would just disappear…..but I am doing them!

Today Carter, Alemitu and I got to have lunch together. Carter was trying to read the newspaper when I heard a thud in the background, followed by a low shriek. A passenger was down and wasn’t moving. I had to shake Carter to get his attention, but he ran to the every enlarging circle of on-lookers. They were able to get her in a wheel chair and down in the infirmary very quickly. Far better response than on the plane….

We passed by Dominical Republic, as well as Cuba, so I thought of Brooke and Jim. Beautiful scenery. Almost like cruising in Alaska with the islands and their mountains hidden in a light fog. I haven’t felt isolated on the water, yet.

Our dinner table is interesting, of course. We have a mother from Manhattan, accompanied by her son who is an artist. He brings his calorie counting book to the table and announces what we are consuming. We found them stiff for the first part of the first evening, but Carter got them loosened up and we are all laughing and having a great time. Yesterday we were joined by another couple, also with a similar age disparity, but this time the husband is older. He was filling Carter in on working with the Mafia tonight. We have yet to hear the whole story.

Alemitu brought along her beading and has received so much attention from passengers who are bringing her jewelry to fix or to have her advise them on what to do. Of course, she is the most stunning person each evening as she dresses for dinner. She and I are having many rendezvous at the Java café for a cup of tea or coffee. The crew love her because she is closer to their own age.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home