Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Devil’s Island
January 11, 2005

Today I woke up about 8 a.m. and went up to meet mom for breakfast and couple of other people she had met also. I didn’t eat much mostly fruit which is good. I am trying not to gain weight on this world voyage. Around 9 we went on the tenders to go to Devil’s Island because Devil’s Island does not have a place for ships to tie or a dock for the ship. When we reached the Island, it was very humid and hot. The Island is full of greenery, coconut trees, monkeys, parrots, and some other animals that I don’t know what they are called. The Island also has chickens, for the people who live there. The Island is very small and it used to be a place where the French sent prisoners there from 1850-1936. When the prisoners were sent there they weren’t able to escape because the French had many guards and also there were many sharks in the water incase they tried to escape by swimming or on boats. For some of you who don’t know much about how prisoners were treated on Devil’s Island in 1850-1936 read the book about Papillon or see the movie. I personally thought the island was beautiful it was so tropical. There were so many coconuts and the sea had amazing colors. I tried not to go in the water because of all those warning about sharks in the water. I don’t want to be shark meat. The ancient jails that were deteriorating were amazing to look at. I was so sad that I didn’t have my digital camera with me. I ended up taking Nate’s thinking I would save some money since he doesn’t use it. I even charged it and now it won’t work. I am so mad now I have to use dads; thank god that dad brought one with him. In all I am having a wonderful time here on the Prinsendam.
(P.S. As I am writing this dad is on his bed snoring away in a deep sleep).
Until next time always, Alemitu.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home