Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 (Personal)

We left India and there was nothing further mentioned about the Yellow Fever, especially after the officials received a gift of cigarettes. Even though I consider this extortion, I have to accept that this is the way most of the world works, plus it saved about 30 crew members from getting an unknown shot.

Our eating adventures were interesting, sometimes tasty and sometimes firey! We went to a restaurant relatively close to the port - $2 by cab for 4 people. They had a tome for a menu, so we asked the waiter to order for us. He insisted on a chicken appetizer – which ended up being a leg and a thigh made with yogurt in a tanduri oven. It was excellent, but a little hefty for just an appetizer. The dishes kept coming for about 2 hours, with curries, different flavors for each dish. I had to forgo some dishes, but Carter cleaned the platters. As we were standing to watch the show that night, he and I both were in great need of Tums. The next morning there were a few rumblies, but no overt gastric distress.

Our second day in Mumbai started out on a bad foot when 2 patients came to the infirmary just at the end of clinic and both needed to be disembarked. Carter said the medical decisions were without question that these people needed further evaluation and needed to get off the ship, but the logistics of convincing them was the difficult part. One lady didn’t have cancellation insurance and didn’t want to go. I think it was a combination of no insurance and fear of the unknown. Her companion also had no cancellation insurance, so she was frustrated having to make the decision to stay on shore with her friend and lose the cruise, or stay on the ship and be alone, wondering what was happening to her friend. Not an easy decision, so she was lashing out at Carter and the rest of the ship’s staff. Carter hadn’t dealt with someone like this before, so it was rather stressful for him. The rest of the staff (front office, guest relations, etc.) dealt with it better than he.

Then we were invited to go out with the doctor who is the liaison in India for Holland America. He came to the port to pick up Carter, Cindy and me, then drove for almost an hour in impossible traffic to the restaurant. I couldn’t believe it, but they took us to a Chinese restaurant in India. At first I felt relieved because I thought I would have something milder, but no….this is a Chinese restaurant in India – so there is an Indian flavor to all of the dishes. Once I saw all those red flecks of spices on the food, I longed for my Tums. In the end, there was more than enough for me to eat, the company was fun and we learned much about the Indian culture as Carter grilled them with questions.

We drove back in milder traffic and then were handed boxes and bags of medication that Dr. Memon had bought for us. Cindy had about 10 bags which were light, but very difficult to handle. I had a box that was about my max for carrying – Kit would be proud that I have kept up my weight training. I’m only a little sore this morning. And Carter had a huge box that I could hardly lift.

Found out that the extra nurse who was sent to take off some of the pressure had visa issues and was sent back to London. Maybe she will join in Oman?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home