Thursday, March 13, 2008

March 11, 2008
At Sea near the Bay of Bengal (Personal)

How could I have forgotten our favor store-front business in Singapore? We were in a mall and passed a shop that had a tinted window, so you couldn’t see in clearly. But the bottom of the window was definitely tanks full of fish. With closer inspection we realized that there were many human feet dangling in the water with the fish. Come to find out, this is a “Soothing store” that has the fish eat the dead skin off your feet, while they (the feet) relax in cool water. All this pleasure for only $29.95/30 minutes.

We are now closer to India. For a while we were passing Sumatra, right close to Aceh, the place with the horrible tsunami. It makes you think how lucky we are. And we were at sea, so a tsunami wouldn’t affect us anyway.

Last night was another Captain’s dinner. The last one I was seated with very active, social people. This time Carter had that clientele and I was with the group that didn’t talk much. I honestly worked at it but had the disadvantage of being seated with some people who were half deaf, some were close to blind and most couldn’t remember much. I would start a conversation and find that they had forgotten the topic almost immediately. They could remember how many times they had been around the world, but didn’t remember many of the places.

We were all given a “treasure chest” which contained the menu. Each course was written on a separate card, so I would read it to these people just before each course. Then when the course was delivered, they would ask me what they were eating. They couldn’t see it and wanted to make sure they were safe. Oh, me. There was one lady who had been a professor of textiles at Auburn University and another man who was with it, so we were able to chat, but they were rather far from me, and I didn’t want to ignore my close tablemates.

One thing we had to eat was amazing. It was a salmon and sole combination that had been woven in a basketweave design, then served in a bouillabaisse sauce. I can’t imagine spending my afternoon weaving two kinds of fish together. The flavor was rather strange, but the presentation was nice. It was the caviar served on top of a slice of lobster, on top of an egg salad mixture that was wasted on me. I am getting quite adept at moving stuff around on the plate to look as though I have eaten it. At least there weren’t the different liver pates they had the last time. Those I don’t even want to touch. Carter was seated next to a woman who didn’t eat fish, so he had 2 meals instead one.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home