Sunday, January 20, 2008

January 20, 2008 (Personal)

Yesterday we were in Nuku Hiva, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesa. A big name for a relatively small place. This is a very rocky, basalt island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean with nothing else around. It is a fruit and flower paradise. I could almost taste the mangos that were hanging from the trees. The Indonesians and Filipinos were so at home, eating them straight from the trees. I wasn’t quite that brave. We had been told that the waters were shark infested, so I stayed out, but some of the medical department went for a dip. The beaches were black sand and the soil was surprisingly dry. The humidity was horrendous, but the occasional breezes were life-saving. All over the island there were rock and wood tikis – Carter got some good photos, so look at the flickr entries. My biggest impression was the massive numbers of stray, scraggly looking dogs. Some of the passengers and crew were petting them. I was freaking out!!

The locals were almost neutral toward the visitors. I suppose we add very little to their economy. Prices are expensive and they probably sold a little in terms of their crafts, but nothing major. They might say bonjour as they walked along, but mostly they just stayed out of the way. It reminded me of Devil’s Island last year. We saw the locals, but no one was out walking or doing anything that might engage us.

Each day the daily program lists the weather for the next day. Well, they seem to be stuck on 76 degrees F. I KNOW it is more, but that sounds reasonable. Well, yesterday was supposed to be 76 – but I thought I was going to die. After 1-1 ½ hours I started to feel that drunk feeling. I turn my head and it takes a while for the rest of your brain to catch up. I know I am getting into trouble. I had drunk a ton of water, but obviously, not enough. So I told Carter it was time to turn around. I am sure this just kills him, because he could have gone on forever, but he was kind and started the trek back. I was still sweating, but was so red in the face that people were all commenting. Once in the room I drank several more glasses and collapsed into bed. What a relief to be back in a cooler environment……We were both so exhausted that night that we went to bed at 7:30pm!!

Tomorrow I have my RAFT drill. Carter missed his BOAT drill.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home