Friday, January 18, 2008

January 18, 2008 (Personal)

We have had a time change every other day for about 8 days, so I was lulled into thinking that was the way it would be for a while. Wrong. We just had 2 days in a row and of course, Carter was up at 4:30am rarin’ to go. Finally he left for the gym and I had the entire tiny bed to myself. For once I had no fear of being tossed from the bed with a big wave.

We heard an appropriate joke from one of the comedians. The showers are so small that all you have to do is soap up the walls and turn around. You never had to soap your body. I must admit we often hit the walls of the shower when the ship moves, so this sounds correct.

One of our passengers has been trying to get his non-satellite phone to work every morning and was complaining because he got no reception……no land in sight. What is he thinking?

Every day the captain gets on the loudspeaker at 1pm to discuss the course, the weather and my most unfavorite part, the depth of the ocean. I really don’t need to know that.

Our last formal dinner table ended up to be quite fun. There were only 5 people, 2 couples and an Irish dentist. The Irish dentist was a character and was seated right next to me. She had already had a bit to whet the whistle by the time she sat down and I truly believe I spoke no more than one word at a time. She just went on and on. She had seen Carter earlier in the week, but didn’t recognize him until she saw his teeth. She said she was trained to look there first and just never looks much farther. She trained in Cork, told me about her apartment, her life and many other things. It was rather loud in that particular part of the dining room, and her accent was a challenge, so I had to concentrate very hard to understand her. It probably wouldn’t have mattered, however, since I wasn’t actually IN the conversation. I was just a receptacle of listening.

Before she had finished the main meal, she excused herself and went to the show. I guess this is normal behavior and her table mates just said “good-bye”. So then I got to meet the rest of the table and they were charming. One couple were retired school teachers, mainly middle school and the other were retired military – she was a nurse and he never said – intriguing! He is in a scooter, looks like MS and she joins me almost every late afternoon in the gym – and she hates it as much as I do. A kindred spirit!

We haven’t had any dance shows lately because almost the entire cast has had Norwalk and confined to their rooms. Still haven’t seen several of them for a while. I was in the gym when one of them was “released from confinement” and the rest of the cast was celebrating – “At last, you are free!!” At this point, I sit at the back of the auditorium, wash my hands like crazy and rarely touch my face. If Carter gets it, I think I will be doomed.

The lady with the purse with feathers and sequins has yet to return to the gym…..

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home