Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Jan 7, 2008 (Personal)

Most of the rest of yesterday was a total loss for me. The night before, as we were cruising the seas, I did my usual workout, showered and got ready for dinner when our room began to bounce all over. Although I have only had it once, I knew I was heading for fierce seasickness. I broke into a sweat, felt dizzy and “needed” to lie down. I found a Meclizine, took ½ and lost all ambition in life. Carter, on the other hand, had felt one little rock and took his meds immediately. He was functional.

I woke up the next day, but had a hangover feeling all day. I think they say these meds are effective for 12 hours, but for me it is 24. At least the side effects. I was able to do my administrative duties in the afternoon and definitely ate a good dinner last night.

Last night as we were getting ready for dinner, we got a call from the bridge asking us to close our curtains – all the way. We are so far forward on the ship that the light from our cabin bothers the captain. No wonder we feel so much motion!

I figured out the hydraulic lift sound. It is the curtain for the stage. I am able to hear all of the shows thru our floor, although the words aren’t distinct and the quiet sounds are lost. We had a classical guitarist last night and he was rather quiet. Regis, on the other hand, was loud. I didn’t know he could sing…..And he was quite good.

This year we are eating dinner with the crew in the Lido from 6-7pm, so not only are we able to have an earlier schedule, we are also eating a little healthier. Carter can see all of the food he is eating as he carries it on his tray. Space is the limiting factor. I can get all the vegetables I like, which thrills me, so we are both happy. And we have to get up and walk over to the dessert area, if we want that treat.

I have found a reasonable place for my work. I am in the midsection of the ship, in a private corner. So far work has been mercifully reasonable. I probably should not have written that. It will jinx it for sure.

We thought we were being to wise this morning, getting up early – around 5:30. Carter went to work out and I went to do my patients. It seemed amazingly quiet to me, but I was able to work without interruption and Carter said there was no trouble getting the machines he wanted……Then at 9am I decided to go to Tai Chi. I got to the class and the instructor was one of the regular “Spa” instructors, but she had a British accent, so I thought that was ok. She put us thru a rather rigorous exercise program, but none of it was familiar for Tai Chi. After a while I figured I wasn’t in Tai Chi……Come to find out we had not been notified that there was an hour time change last night. We thought it was tonight. So I was in an aerobics class at 8am, soon to be followed by the Tai Chi class at 9am. Well, I have strengthened and stretched more than normal in just 2 hours. I’ll just have to do the machines tonight and I can leave the weights until tomorrow. I’m already sore in some rather unusual places. Kit, you would be proud.

We have had quite a time getting the safe in our room opened. This is annoying because I have to carry all our “valuables” everywhere. I have checkbooks, cell phone, cash, travelers’ checks, etc. I would love to unload it. Carter took my backpack several days ago to carry something and promptly lost it, so I am using the ubiquitous Holland America bag. I just hope someone else doesn’t pick it up inadvertently.

Last time we didn’t bring along enough deodorant or white socks. This time we have an abundance of those, but are lacking lotion and bar soap. The last time they were provided, but times have changed. I’ll slip off at Panama. I know I can get them easily there. One of the other doctors was kind enough to loan me some and I need to repay her.

Winnie

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home