Tuesday, January 08, 2008

January 4, 2008 (Personal)
4:30 pm
We are about to leave Ft. Lauderdale and the passengers having a mandatory boat drill. I, however, have been assigned to a life RAFT, which sounds far less safe than a life BOAT. Carter, on the other hand, has been assigned to a BOAT. Here’s hoping we never have to use these emergency drills for real.

Getting here has been a trial with late planes, then missed planes, rescheduling after an overnight flight (which meant no sleep for yours truly), and then extra luggage to deal with. Carter got an ultrasound unit which was my baby as we flew. Then once here there was a huge steamer trunk that had the ultrasound table, so that had to be dealt with. I feel as though I have already had my workout today, just getting to the room.

The Tia Chi instructor and his wife, plus the rabbi and minister, had to be cancelled due to health reasons, so that is a disappointment. I’m sure they will have someone else. In general, it is fun to see many familiar faces – how these people can afford to spend 4 months on board, year after year, is beyond me. The passengers are thrilled that Carter is back as the doctor, but all vow they don’t want to see him anywhere except the dining room. And Carter is trying to avoid eating in the dining room, in hopes of filling his uniforms less snuggly than the last trip.

Our room is located on the Verandah deck, which sounds wonderful, but we are located at the very front of the ship and right over the auditorium. I’ve lived thru one band practice already and the floor vibrates. I thought I could just take out my hearing aids and avoid the distraction. Maybe not, if the percussion is loud. It will feel like home when I broke my arm and was sleeping on the couch, trying to sleep thru Nate and Ben’s music. The room seems much brighter than the last time, mainly because there isn’t a port hole, but an angled window facing the sky. The bathroom is a similar configuration to last time. Step-saver in size, but there seems to be a little more room. This time you can turn around without having to stand in the shower. We still can’t get 2 of us in there unless one is in the shower, but that is fine. I love my bathtub, so I will be dreaming of that for the next 4 months.

Carter is working with a completely female medical department. I love it! I have met them all and they should make a wonderful team. He is having endless meetings today. I hope we can meet for dinner.

More later. Keep the e-mails coming.

Winnie

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home