Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Saturday, January 05, 2008 (Personal)
Day 2

Why is it so hard to change routines? I even forgot to put on my sunscreen this morning – but I did shower and brush my teeth. It seems like so many false steps and re-tries on every task.

It was very rocky last night and we heard that several ships were unable to come into Port Everglades until later because of the high seas. No wonder we rolled all night. Carter had taken a Dramamine, so he was out until 6am. He seems to insist on a close attachment to the blankets, so I am asking for an extra one tonight. He also takes up the same amount of bed, no matter its size. Unfortunately, our bed is about a ¾ double. This will take several days for me to adjust to – but I will work out hard so I am truly exhausted. I’m sure I’ll wake up if I am bounced to the floor, but hopefully all else will not affect me.

Today is mainly for administrative tasks. We had to attend a class on safety and security – and I got to see a film of what my RAFT will look like as it inflates in mid-air. Not all that reassuring. Then Carter had to attend an environmental class on-line for 2 hours. I started doing it with him just to keep him company, but it was SO boring, I had to leave or fall asleep.

So far I have walked up and down the stairs repeatedly, just trying to figure out my computer. I was able to get on in our room, but got knocked off within seconds, over and over. Last night I was able to do 2.5 patients, so I just gave up and went to sleep. I guess our room has wireless – sort of. So it seems I need to go to the center of the ship and to get better reception. That seemed easy. But my computer decided only to work with the mouse, and I had left that in the room, several floors up and more than half the ship forward. So I shut everything down and went for the mouse. Now I am totally convinced I need a lighter computer. I feel as though I have worked out on the stairmaster, as well as doing a workout of the shoulders and back.

Carter is a real smoozer, as most of you know. These people are truly happy to see him out here again. He would have been a great internist, so this can feed into his skills there. He will get enough emergency stuff (already a full clinic this morning and he was supposed to have it off for administrative duties), but he seems to love the follow-up. I just had coffee with a sweet 87 year old woman I’ll call Anita (I actually thought that was her name, but it wasn’t – oh, well, never was very good with names.) Her husband used to work on cruise ships and since his death she has cruised every world cruise so she could dance. The dancing is out this year due to knee pain. She and I used to do laundry together – she was washing her wigs in the washer! Anyway, she is plotting her visit with Carter to see if he can help her.

We have Regis Philbin as the entertainer tonight. Sounds fun. I have heard the rehearsals up close and personal through the floor of our room. They must use some type of hydraulic lift on the stage because it sounds as if they are bringing up the anchor right under my bed.

Winnie

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home