Tuesday, April 08, 2008

April 7, 2008 (Personal)
Venice, Italy

We only have about an hour more of being docked in Venice and then off to see Split, Croatia. We have had great fun in Venice and can’t figure out why we have missed this city for so many years. Carter thought he might have been here in the early 70’s, but now is sure he wasn’t. I don’t see how anyone could forget it. The canals, the boats, the windy little pedestrian streets. And the sonorous Italian spoken with such emotion.

Even though there were tons of boats, I will probably remember our stay here as one of walking. We started out taking a water taxi from the pier to St. Mark’s Cathedral and then walking thru the windy streets back to the ship. We knew we were in need of a map, so stopped at a tourist bureau and bought one. We decided to use their facilities – shocked to find out it cost 1 euro ($1.50), so from then on we limited our fluid intake a little more than usual. We wandered, with some direction along the Grand Canal, stopping to read our guide book for information on all these ancient churches, leaning towers and sites we have seen in books for years. After about 3 hours we were close to the ship, but unable to figure out how to walk to the pier.

Since we needed help, we decided to go to the tourist bureau again. This time it wasn’t so helpful. The lady there spoke Italian very loudly and slowly, thinking something might sink in…..We thought we understood, but soon it became obvious we were going away from the ship, not towards it. We could SEE it! We finally ended up in a little hole-in-the-wall shop and I recognized a crew member. I asked him how to get back to the ship and he looked at me as though I were crazy. I tried to explain that we had taken the water taxi, not walked, away from the ship. Ok, Ok, he now understood and gave us good directions. We were ready to put our feet up for a few minutes and drink a glass of water.

Today was similar, except we knew how to get back. We took off after clinic and went to the Jewish Ghetto. I had read about this in so many books, so was glad to finally put a face to it. It wasn’t all that Ghetto-esque, but it was separated from the rest of the city. We found a nice restaurant there and were able to eat in that part of town for about ½ the price of the area around St. Mark’s. And the food was great. I do like Italian food. We didn’t have time to take the water bus to Murano, the glass island, but that is on my list for next time. I am sure we will be back here.

Of note, Carter dyed my hair several days ago. I need to brag that he did a great job. Nothing like having an internist color your hair. He got every strand. I had another woman who had agreed to help me, but I couldn’t find her for several days and realized that I was desperate. Carter was very nervous and even called me while he was in clinic to make sure that my hair wasn’t purple or falling out. He could have a new career, if he needs one.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home