Saturday, April 05, 2008

April 4, 2008 (Personal)
Santorini, Greece

What a beautiful place! We had to be tendered into shore, and during the entire ride, we were discussing how we would get from the shore, up to the top of this cliff. There were 3 options. We could take the funicular, ride a donkey, or walk. I don’t particularly like heights, so I thought long and hard about the funicular – it won my vote. The donkey was out because I didn’t want to smell like a donkey at the end of the ride, and the walk seemed more inviting on the way down than up. It was totally evident that Carter voted for the walk up – it was free! We finally agreed to walk, with the understanding that I would be slow and he couldn’t complain.

It took about 45 minutes, but we made it. As we reached the top, there was a pleasant breeze, the views were spectacular and I had the reassuring thought that I didn’t have to go to the gym in the later afternoon. I had done my lunges for weeks! Too bad I didn’t wear my workout clothes. These were drenched.

Once on top, we walked around, viewing the sites. Most of the buildings are white with white or blue roofs so they stand out against the island cliffs. We even found an archeological dig that has been going on since 1967. It found a site from 1500BC that was covered with pumice, looking as though an entire civilization had evacuated prior to a volcanic eruption. There were no bones or jewels left, but much furniture and daily items. One geologist said that this may have been Atlantis.

We then stopped at a local restaurant and ate heartily. Carter had a Greek sampler and I had a gyros, so we were sated. We didn’t have nearly enough time here, and had to rush to the funicular to go down (I closed my eyes) and take the tender back to the ship. This is a place we would love to come back to for a week or so. Too much to explore. The only drawback is that the dollar is so weak and the euro is gaining like mad. For $100 we only get 60Euros. Pretty sad.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home