Sunday, March 30, 2008

March 27, 2008 (Personal)

Our trip thru the Suez Canal was warm, but not hot. It was amazing to notice the amount a growth in civilization that has occurred in only 2 years. The unending sand is overwhelming. It just seems as though it would be so difficult to just live there.

Today was spent in Alexandria, Egypt and busses of passengers took off for Cairo. Carter and I stayed back since we have been there before. Debbie and one of the nurses took off locally to do some shopping and after they returned we decided to walk to the new library. Debbie and Carole Anne spent most of their time at the Souks buying almost everything Alexandria had to offer. They are both young and setting up their households, so it was fun to see. We don’t need anything new in our house!

Two years ago I had walked to the library with another passenger. I had been trying to keep up with him, so missed most of the scenery. This time I actually was able to lead Carter correctly and enjoy the sights. Their sidewalks were in poor repair, loaded with refuse – but interestingly there are never any bottles or cans on the street. There must be a recycle program that has an incentive to collect these items. The library is about 2 miles away and the curbs are of varying heights, so it was like lunges all the way there and back. We always seemed to have some horse and buggy vendor following us around, badgering us to take a ride. As we kept walking, the price seemed to float down.

The women 2 years ago were about 60% in burkahs. Today they were about 90% in burkahs. Maybe this is a warning that Egypt is going from a secular nation, more toward an Islamic nation. I think we should all take note. In the library itself, the female staff were all without head scarves, but almost all of the patrons wore them. Those women who were the most covered – head to toe and even gloves – all had on the most ornate and gorgeous heels. I guess they have to express themselves somehow. They also wore such heavy make-up on their eyes. This was the first time I saw glasses perched outside the veils. I certainly would have to do that. I can’t see the ground without my glasses.

March 28, 2008

The ship has officially changed into cold water clothing. All the officers changed from whites to blues. Now I can’t find Carter as easily is a crowded space. This was a big deal and the coordination was worried about for days. To begin with Carter hadn’t gotten the whole information about this changeover, so he didn’t have white shirts, ties, the correct socks, shoes, etc. We could have bought it all in Hong Kong, but were in trouble here. The last cruise Carter didn’t get blue uniforms because they ran out of fabric, so he just wore a suit. Luckily, Debbie and Carole Anne (the crew doc and one of the nurses), took measurements of Carter and happily went shopping. Thank goodness!! They came back with some of the most gorgeous Egyptian cotton shirts I have ever seen. And they fit beautifully!

Just a quick note of grumbling on my part about some of these passengers. We were invited to have dinner with a woman in the dining room. We were seated at her table in the dining room and we had assumed it was a private dinner. Well, one man came up to us right in the middle of dinner and wanted to discuss his prostate. I thought that was rude! I didn’t want to hear all the sordid details of his ailments and I am most certain that this lady didn’t either. I’m sure these symptoms have been going on for a while, and he could have waited until after dinner. I think he just wanted a free consult. Ok, now I’m done complaining.

Istanbul next. I am almost finished with all my chocolate. Now on to Turkish delight. It looks cool and a little rainy.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home