Saturday, April 19, 2008

April 18, 2008 (Personal)
At Sea in the Atlantic

Well, it is not smooth sailing, but it isn’t unreasonable. We are in what is termed “moderate seas” which means about 5-7.5 ft waves. I think they speed up at night when they figure everyone is in bed and we can take the bumping more. We are undergoing an hour time change every day for 4 days in a row. That makes our days longer, but it also seems to get people up much earlier. Usually when I work on the computer in the morning between 6 and 7 am I am the only person awake – maybe one or two regulars. This morning, there were multiple people who wanted to talk. Luckily, I hadn’t signed onto the internet yet, so I sat and listened. Then once I was on-line I just ignored all who passed. Each minute costs money, so I try to be efficient.

Before we came I had told Carter that I needed internet access or I wouldn’t be able to come with him. I was assured that it would be no problem. After the first week or so, it has been fine, until yesterday and his computer refused all internet access. It seems there have been some computer system changes in the office in Seattle, and his computer was simply shut out. So, I am back to using my computer and paying per minute. I have to use my computer for the on-line banking and other duties, so that isn’t too much of a strain and I can work off-line for all of the letters and blog things, but my work is another story. Luckily, I am not working for the weekend, so I am ok for the next 3 days. I hope they get it fixed.

I finally figured out where the smell of blueberry muffins is coming from. Several days ago I saw a slivered almond on the floor in the stairwell. I then saw another and started following it up the stairwell. The stairs go up to the Crow’s Nest, the highest part of the ship, a bar, but also the place where they have afternoon tea. Now I get it. The stairwell is where they store the goodies before they serve tea. It also explains the occasional smell of coffee and the fact that it isn’t always smelling of blueberries, but sometimes even almonds or lemons. Mystery solved.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home