Thursday, February 02, 2006

February 2, 2006

Somewhere near the Beagle Channel on the way to Ushuaia

Since we last wrote we have had 4 sea days and one day in Puerto Madryn, Argentina. The sea days have been filled with speakers: geologists, biologists, researchers and entertainers from Hollywood. Quite an eclectic bunch. I have been able to attend all of the lectures, knitting the entire time (almost finished with one blanket), and have learned so much about this region. Of course, there have been movies, magicians, comedians, and more than enough food.

The day in Puerto Madryn was interesting. Alemitu’s first impression was that it looked like Idaho. This area was first settled by the Welsh and it looks like South Wales to me. There are a few, low, rolling hills, but they are essentially barren. The wind off the sea was brutal, never subsiding. We had to walk along a very long pier and as we left the ship we met fellow passengers returning. They were unrecognizable because of the number the wind had done on their clothes and hair. Once we got in town we were pleasantly surprised to find no beggars, just a normal smaller town. We were also not so pleasantly surprised to find that they close all of their shops at 1pm and open again at 5 pm. Of course, we came ashore at 1pm and were leaving port at 5. We did find a “shopping center” that had a few clothes stores open, so Alemitu could get in her shopping fix.

Carter had been forced to stay on the ship because of “doctor duties”, so he came in on his own. While he was walking along the beach a young girl who wanted to try her English asked him to come over and meet her family. They “talked” and he took photos of them all, getting a little information about them. It was a sweet and friendly impression of this part of Argentina.

Yesterday we had one of those “captain requested” luncheons and Carter and I had to host a table. Of course we were given the challenge table – we sat with the director for Golden Girls, his wife and 2 deaf people. If only we could have signed. The latter read lips pretty well, so we were able to have a reasonable conversation – but Carter got paged in the middle and had to leave. It went well in the long run, but was not totally easy.

Today we are coming down the coast of Tiera del Fuego and all we can do is be in awe of the numerous sailors who came this way in fragile wooden boats. Most of our ship has been cabin-bound because of the high seas. This morning the intense rocking and rolling awoke us all, even Alemitu. We gave her a sea-sick pill and told her not to move for an hour. Carter already had some aboard his body, so he and I ventured up into the Lido for breakfast. How could we be hungry? Once we were there, dishes began to fly off shelves, and out of unsecured cabinets. So many of the crew were seasick. Once seated, we realized that most of the people in the dining area were those with walkers or canes. These people may be the seasoned sailors, but they were scary to watch as the walkers rolled from one side to the other and they try to follow them.

We were fine up on the deck because we could watch the horizon, but as we began to descend to our “water-level” room, Carter didn’t look too good. He grew pale and diaphoretic and the next thing I knew he was crashed on the bed. By then, Alemitu was feeling chipper. By the time he arrived at the Infirmary he realized that he was in no worse shape than the other medical crew. That was gratifying and he was able to do his entire clinic without mishap. The steward came into our room to close the port holes for “security reasons” –not enough explanation for me. Do they think the water will come thru the window? That is scary!

Luckily we are having much less rolling right now and are scheduled to eat at the fancy restaurant on board…..more food!

Winnie,

Hey everybody....60 nautical/HOUR OR Gale force winds today....I DID NOT HURL!
YEA!

CARTER

From Alemitu:

Hello, everyone. Before I left for dinner last night I was telling Mother that one of the straps on the dress I was wearing was loose. I thought it was safe to wear. So I go to dinner. When I had finished, I listened to everyone talk because they were having a conversation after finishing dinner. I excused myself to go to the bathroom, I pushed my chair back, got up and heard a snap. All of a sudden, my hand flew to my right chest and my eyes grew really wide and my mouth went into an “O” shape. After a while I started laughing and tried to get the heck out of there. But so many people stopped me to talk with me, and I was trying to get out of the dining room so that no one would notice that my dress was falling off. Finally I came back into the room and changed into a safe outfit. Always, Alemitu

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home