Saturday, January 28, 2006

January 28, 2006

Buenos Aires, Argentina

The other passengers are fascinating. We met one woman who was on the original Prinsendam 90 some years ago when it sank. I thought it was rather bad luck to name a ship after one that sank, but I guess it doesn’t bother Holland America. Anyway, this lady is amazing and had already booked for the World Cruise next year.

A few impressions of Buenos Aires: The streets are impressively wide. When you get stopped by a stop light, it is a long wait. No human being could walk across the 10 lanes of traffic in down town during a normal light. There are railway tracks across most of the roads and they are excellent speed bumps. SOOO uneven.

There are lovers making out in every park at any hour. Carter’s camera was clicking.

The shoppers are dressed smartly. Carter was approached by every hawker in sight. He was dressed in his safari outfit, with each inch of skin covered, along with his hat and wondered if he indeed looked like a tourist…..I would say “yes”.

The lead nurse had her purse stolen in Rio by someone riding by on a bicycle. She sustained a significant rope burn to her wrist. She and her friend reported the lost credit card to a hotel immediately. She was notified that within 30 minutes there had been an attempt of $3,600 worth of charges. Buenos Aires feels much safer, on the whole, but we don’t take chances.

We are on the same river that Magellan thought was the Southwest Passage. Rather awesome. The river here is the same muddy color as the Amazon, but moving much slower.
Winnie


Jan 28, 2006

We have been in Buenos Aires, Argentina for two days and it has been great. Yesterday I went with one of the crew workers to a shopping place but we didn’t buy anything. We did see something there that the guy I went with likes to go to which is MacDonald’s. I can’t believe there is a MacDonald’s here also. I only got a really small fries and he got a hamburger. The crew who work on the ship like to go eat in MacDonald’s because they don’t get that kind of food a lot. Anyway it was fun going out with him to the shopping place. Today I went out with mom to go to the town center which is called Florida Street; it’s a shopping area for clothes and a lot of leather, and other things that is made with leather. I ended up buying a dress and sandals which look very nice and fit well. It has been fun here in Buenos Aires and we are leaving tonight at 8 p.m. I think. One more thing, when we got of the ship and we were trying to figure out where to go and which taxi to go on these girls would come up to me and the guy I was with to hand out these cards that had girls who work in strip clubs on it. He said no which was good and than she tells me if I want to come also and than she tries to hand me her card it was really weird.
We also went to a tango show last night. It was incredible, the dancers were amazing. The theater was very small and closes together so you could see the stage better and the dancers. I had never seen a tango dance like that before. I am glad that I got to experience it.
Always, Alemitu

Jan 28, 2006

Carter is weighing in at 210 # and looks like a beached whale….Having a little difficulty turning away the fantastic food and desserts and fresh bread! Work outs are a challenge with the split work schedule, second sitting where dinner ends at 10:15 pm. social obligations, dressing up continually for introductions, and cocktail parties. He has switched around day and night successfully but having a difficult time getting up at 0500 like at home. I think the key will be eating at crew mess at 1815 and getting to bed earlier when possible. Bought some fancy leather formal white shoes and black shoes yesterday in Buenos Aries which drove Winnie crazy I think. So far no guests have required emergency disembarkation, and I am getting known on a first name basis with the “regulars.” The continuity of care aspect has been fun for me….maybe I should have been an Internist after all. Leaving port right now…need to get this off. All my love!

Carter

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home