Saturday, February 16, 2008

February 15, 2008

Rumors Abound (Personal)

Yesterday as I slogged away in the gym an Australian passenger came up to me to chat. He is an animal about working out, sometimes admitting to attending 3-5 times a day. He says he is obsessed about the gym the way others are obsessed about bridge. Anyway, he said that he was leaving the gym the day before and had passed a rather large man who had fallen out of his wheelchair and was wedged between the chair and the wall. There were numerous people around trying to help him, but the rough seas were making it difficult. I told him I hadn’t heard anything about this, so the conversation ended.

Then later that evening we were attending the 32nd consecutive Valentine’s Party given by two sisters. Can you imagine, they have been on the world cruise on the Holland America line for 32 years in a row? A very sweet woman came up to me and said, “Well, I guess it has started.” I asked her what and she said, “Well, the first death.” I was shocked and said I hadn’t heard anything about it and Carter hadn’t seemed at all upset about anything.

Then dinner and one of the ladies at the table said, “I heard that there was a death.” Carter shook his head. Then she said, “But the lady I spoke with saw them put the body in a body bag.”

Where did all that come from? I guess everyone is getting bored with the rocking seas and the frequent sea days. What next?

We have moved from the Tasman Sea to the Indian Ocean. Obviously, Neptune hasn’t changed his tune. We are under Australia, working our way to Perth. When you look at the map on CNN, it looks as though there is nothing here. I’ve got news for you. It isn’t all peaceful.

I’m having a harder and harder time doing my work for Seattle on time. Each new time zone makes it harder. We are now 7 hours behind, plus a day. I try to get up early, and I must admit there is very little competition for the internet at 4:30 or 5am, but then I feel worthless for the rest of the day. I have gotten into the habit of taking a daily nap, which will be hard to break when I return to real life.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home