Monday, February 27, 2006

February 25, 2006 We just left Richards Bay, South Africa

As you can tell, it is difficult to get Alemitu to write. Yesterday she had the excuse that she was invited by a passenger to go to Zululand. It was quite an experience and she managed to take about 200 photos, exhausting the battery on Carter’s camera.

Carter and I stayed on board, trying to avoid the intense heat and humidity. I spend quite a bit of time watching the 3 containers shipped from Seattle be unloaded. Actually, I wished I could have stood IN the containers while they were unloading because 2 of them were freezer units. There were 3 fork lifts working and a ton of workers on the dock – along with supervisors shouting out orders. The ship’s personnel were going crazy to get the frozen stuff in pronto, but the workers were less stressed. I’m sure they work in this heat daily and see little need to work any faster. We also watched the removal of the black water (sewage), which seems to be pretty standardized around the world. It is amazing all the work that goes on behind the scenes on the ship.

We continue to face the battle of the bulge. Even their vegetables are drenched in some sort of good tasting oil. The only “untainted” veggies are the raw ones. Several salads daily are on my menu. We do get delicious fresh fruits in some of the ports, many times they are shipped air freight from Australia. Love those raspberries and blueberries in Feb.

Winnie

I am amazed at the beauty of the sunrises and sunsets at sea. This is a simpler life indeed and I am going to share a note from Ken Markel who has done 3 world cruises;

"Carter,
I just went thru your flickr photos (I told you my nephew invented flickr?).
They were so wonderful! It took me back to a different time, when I was
much younger and going through the adventure of a lifetime. It was so
exciting and new and wonderful. It would be difficult for anyone who has not
done such a trip to fully wonder at your photos and your adventure....the
isolatiion, sights, Capt Cook type of spirit, the life on ship - elegance of
food and dress etc etc. Tell Mr Ebbens that he looks exactly the same as he
did 15 years ago - at least from that 1 picture he hasn't aged a minute. I'm
so happy you took yourself out of those horrible nighshifts to this fairy
tale adventure.
Ken"

Carter

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home